Easy pasta dishes are my go-to when I’m feeling slightly lazy or am out of fresh produce. They’re super easy to throw together and there are endless options for keeping things new and exciting. I love experimenting with different pasta types, from wholewheat and spelt to red and yellow lentil, brown rice and even oat (the only one I haven’t warmed to is pea-based pasta – just too dominant of a flavour in my opinion). And, of course, there is so much you can do with sauces, spices, herbs, etc.
This recipe is perfect for when you don’t feel like spending too much time in the kitchen, yet still want a flavourful, comforting meal. The sun-dried tomatoes add a depth of flavour and the cashew butter a satisfying richness that make this sauce much more exciting than what you’d find in a regular tin of tomato sauce. It only takes a few minutes to make – you can prepare the sauce while your pasta is cooking and have time to spare – making it a great weeknight option.
Creamy Cashew Tomato Pasta
Makes: 4 servings
- 200g sun-dried tomatoes (drained weight) that have been soaked in oil and herbs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 8 tbsp plain oat or rice mylk
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- dried chili / cayenne pepper flakes or powder
- salt, to taste
- 4 portions of pasta of choice
Serving suggestion: Feel free to serve as is, or add onto, as desired – e.g. top with fresh greens such as arugula or baby spinach, fresh herbs, some seeds (e.g. hemp or sesame seeds), sliced olives or toasted nuts (e.g. cashews, almonds or pistachios would work really well). You can also cook some peas or other fresh or frozen veggies along with the pasta. And don’t forget the nutritional yeast if you’re a nooch lover like me!
- Start cooking the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Blend all the ingredients for the sauce: sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, cashew butter, mylk, balsamic vinegar and seasoning. Taste and add more salt / pepper, if desired.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and place it back into the pan. Stir in the creamy tomato sauce on medium heat. At this point you could add some fresh greens, if using, or serve these on top of the pasta.
- Serve as desired (see serving suggestion, above).
If you do try this recipe, tag @blueberrysmiles22 on Instagram, so I can drool over your creations 🙂