Today I’m sharing with you my go-to post-workout protein pancakes. They’re simple to whip up and wonderfully nourishing, whether you’ve had an intense workout or simply rolled out of bed! There is always a good excuse to have pancakes, any day of the week or time of day 🙂
While I don’t think protein powders are, by any means, a “must”, I enjoy using them in breakfast dishes for an extra boost of protein. I always go for unflavored ones and my favorite is pure rice protein – the one I used here is from Iswari – which is high in plant protein and has a versatile, neutral flavor.
I love having these topped with some sliced banana, berries and nut butter, also adding some chocolate or maple syrup (or both), for even more indulgence. Today I even made a white chocolate matcha sauce, which I didn’t measure exactly, but also describe below. Enjoy!
Makes: 6-8 small pancakes
- 85g buckwheat flour (wholemeal spelt should also work well)
- 1 small banana
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice protein (ca. 10 g)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds (or chia seeds)
- 1 tbsp ground lucuma
- 200 ml rice milk (or another kind of plant milk)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash of vanilla extract
- optional: some maple syrup, for sweetening
- coconut oil, for cooking
- desired toppings – I recommend bananas, berries or other fruit, nut butter and maple syrup, or my white chocolate matcha sauce (below); I also added some nutritious hemp seeds
- Mash the banana and combine with all the ingredients, save for the coconut oil (for a smoother texture, blend everything together). For more sweetness, add some maple syrup to the batter.
- Heat some coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan, reduce the heat slightly and do a tester (baby) pancake. This way you can see if you need to reduce or increase the heat – plus you get a little appetizer 😉
- Ladle a large spoonful of batter into the pan and cook on each side on medium heat for a minute or two (you’ll see bubbles start to form and the sides begin to cook through, before flipping); repeat until all the batter is used up.
- Serve with your toppings of choice and enjoy!
*Due to a collaboration with Iswari Switzerland you can get 5% off orders from iswari.ch using the discount code “blueberrysmiles” (I earn a small commission on such orders). I’m loving their products, from their raw chocolate to their “superfood” powders. If you don’t live in Switzerland, you can check out their global website.*
Matcha White Chocolate Sauce
I made this in a very experimental manner and didn’t record the exact measurements, but I started with:
- ca. 20 g cacao butter, melted, and
- 1 tsp matcha powder
I then added:
- ca. 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- some rice milk
- lucuma powder
until I got a ganache-like texture, perfect for dolloping on top of my pancakes. It started to harden as it cooled, becoming more of a spread, which I’m storing in the fridge.
Feel free to tag @blueberrysmiles22 if you share your creations on Instagram, so I can share in the joy 🙂