One of my favorite things for staying cool in this hot weather is a serving of delicious, smooth and creamy, refreshing nice cream. I love how a frozen banana is pretty much all you need for a cooling and naturally sweet treat – but I also love experimenting with different flavors and fun ingredients.
Yesterday, for a post-workout meal I added some frozen sweet potato to my blender and ended up with a super satisfying, dessert-like concoction that left me with a big smile on my face. You can blend frozen sweet potato, frozen banana and cacao for a very simple version (with dates or maple syrup for extra sweetness), but below I’ll share with you exactly what I used.
I love the deep flavor the raw cacao powder gives this as well as the hint of fruity sweetness from the lucuma – the two powders complement each other perfectly and add extra goodness and nutrition to this already nutritious treat.*
Sweet potato nice cream
- 150g sweet potato (cooked and frozen)
- 1 ripe, frozen banana (mine was 130g)
- 1.5 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp lucuma powder
- 1/2 tbsp carob powder
- ca. 1 tbsp rice mylk
- optional: 1 tbsp maple syrup / 1-2 dates (for more sweetness)
- optional: 1 tbsp pea protein
- Toppings: berries, chocolate sauce, nut butter such as peanut or almond butter, jam
*I use “superfoods” from Iswari, because I love the taste and quality. You can get 5% off orders from Iswari Suisse with the discount code “blueberrysmiles” (Disclaimer: I earn a small commission on such orders).
- Blend the frozen sweet potato and banana (and dates, if using), adding the mylk. (Depending on how powerful your blender is, you might have to let the frozen ingredients defrost a bit).
- Stir in all the other ingredients.
- Enjoy as is or with your desired toppings.
To make this more of a mousse, simply use a non-frozen banana and/or non-frozen sweet potato [as in the photo below]. For extra creaminess, stir in some nut butter 😉
Feel free to tag @blueberrysmiles22 if you share your creations on Instagram, so I can share in the joy 🙂