I’m back with another recipe, and this time we’re not firing up the grill but heating up the oven to prepare some delicious baked waffles. (Alternatively, feel free to try these with a traditional waffle-iron). I recently bought some silicone waffle molds and love how much easier it is to make waffles in the oven. You can make them all in one go and can pop the molds into the dishwasher to reduce clean- up 😉
I love these waffles for weekend breakfast, especially pre- or post-workout, as they’re not only tasty but also super nourishing and packed with good-for-you ingredients such as banana, dates, buckwheat flour and this nutty ground chia and flax seed mixture from Iswari.
I created this recipe as part of a collaboration with Iswari Suisse – if you order anything from Iswari Suisse, you can get 5% off with the discount code “blueberrysmiles”. (Disclaimer: I earn a small commission on such orders).
Ok, enough talk, let’s get to the recipe!
Nourishing Breakfast Waffles
Makes: 6 waffles
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 50g soft and sweet dates
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp rice mylk
- 1 tsbp Omega 3 Mix (ground flax- and chia seeds)
- 160g buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon lucuma powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 heaped tbsp aquafaba (save the chickpea water from the tin and beat until it reaches a consistency close to beaten egg whites)
- coconut oil for greasing
- Recommended toppings: berries, banana, nut butter and maple syrup
- Variations: substitute some of the buckwheat flour (or the lucuma powder) with matcha or acai powder, for example, to switch things up!
- Combine all the ingredients, gently folding in the aquafaba at the end.
- Grease the moulds with some coconut oil and divide the batter equally.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C until golden brown and firm (this will depend on the oven – for me it takes around 15-20 minutes).
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Feel free to tag @blueberrysmiles22 if you share your creations on Instagram, so I can share in the joy 🙂