Now that fall has arrived I’m loving cooking warming and slightly heartier dishes, such as this harissa-flavored chickpea stir-fry with mushrooms, kale, aubergine & carrots. I’ve served it with my go-to turmeric quinoa, but you can just as well accompany it with some brown rice, wholewheat pasta, potatoes etc.
Harissa Tahini Chickpea & Veggie Stir-Fry
Makes: 4-5 servings
- 1 red onion, chopped
- optional: 1 small red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- coconut or olive oil, for cooking
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained (skins off, if you have the time)
- 2 large carrots, peeled & chopped into small cubes
- 2 small or 1 larger aubergine, chopped into cubes
- 2 large stems of kale (or 2 large handfuls)
- ca. 6-8 small mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 heaped tbsp runny tahini
- 3 tsp of harissa spice mix
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek / chili sauce
- salt, to taste
- optional: 1 tsp smokey paprika
Serve with: quinoa (ca. 80g uncooked quinoa per person), brown rice, wholewheat or spelt pasta, potatoes, etc.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok and cook the chopped onion, chili & carrots for a few minutes, stirring often. Next add the chickpeas, harissa & paprika powder as well as the tomato purée, sambal oelek and salt. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Add in the chopped aubergine and cook until soft.
- Next pour over the tahini and stir until incorporated, before adding the sliced mushrooms and, a few minutes later, the kale. Cook for another few minutes until everything is combined and cooked through.
- Do a taste test and season with more salt or spices, if desired.
- Serve with the quinoa.
Feel free to tag @blueberrysmiles22 if you share your creations on Instagram, so I can share in the joy 🙂