Hello and happy Sunday!
I’ve had a wonderful weekend filled with workouts and lots of good food with friends, enjoying the gorgeously golden autumnal weather here in Zurich. It’s a beautiful time of year and I’m feeling very mindful and satisfied with enjoying the little things, like the yellow and orange leaves on the ground, the smell of chestnuts in the air and lighting candles in my apartment while catching up with friends or cooking my Sunday meal prep.
One thing that is always part of a good weekend, if you ask me, is some soul-satisfying brunch food. And while my go-to is usually a smoothie bowl, I also have a never-ending love affair with pancakes… They remind me of childhood and taste super indulgent, while actually being really nourishing (well, these ones at least 🙂 ). They’re also very quick to whip together and only take a few minutes to cook – perfect for when you’re hungry after a weekend workout or just in the mood for something comforting.
Easy to vary, this is the basic recipe I use when making pancakes for myself. You could sub some of the flour for cacao powder, add some nut butter or play around with different spices. I’ve also made turmeric pancakes as well as a saffron version once – you just can’t go wrong!
Serves: 1 hungry individual
- 80g flour (such as wholemeal spelt or buckwheat)
- 3/4 large, ripe banana
- ca. 110 ml plant mylk (I like oat or rice)
- 1 tbsp ground flax-/chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ground vanilla bean
- pinch of cinnamon
- oil for cooking (e.g. coconut oil)
- optional: a little bit of sweetener, like rice/date/maple syrup
- the rest of the banana, sliced
- nut butter (I like almond for pancakes)
- fresh or frozen fruit
- maple syrup
- hemp seeds
- Mash the banana and stir together with the flax/chia seeds and mylk.
- Stir together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, ground vanilla & cinnamon), before combining with the banana mix.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick pan and cook the pancakes on medium-high heat for ca. 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Serve as desired and enjoy!