Some decisions are so automatic that they don’t require any thought – like, for me, that breakfast means a berry smoothie bowl with peanut butter. Last weekend, though, I was uncharacteristicaly in the mood for something different. I started running through the options in my head. Pancakes? Crepes? Peanut butter and jam on toast? Dates dipped in almond butter? Nothing felt quite right. Until, that is, I had a vision of a bowl of smooth, cold oats, topped with banana and nut butter.
I blended some oats and chia seeds, added some spices, topped it all up with my favorite oat milk, some berries, almond butter and banana, made myself comfortable on the balcony and savored that simple but profoundly luxurious feeling of eating exactly what your body and soul are craving.
Yes, we’re just talking about blended oats, but this combo completely hit the spot, fuelling my mornings for the rest of the week. You can make a large batch or individual servings to store in little jars, ready to fill with milk the next morning for one of the fastest, nourishing breakfasts ever.
Cinnamon Raisin Instant Oats
Makes: 5 servings*
- 225g oats
- 25g chia seeds
- handful of walnuts, chopped
- ca. 45g raisins
- generous pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla bean
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- To serve: plant milk (ca. 125 ml per serving)
- Optional: sliced banana, berries, nut butter, maple syrup, hemp seeds, etc.
*I started by making individual servings, but then got hooked and switched to larger batches. For one serving I used 45g oats and 5g chia seeds, eyeballing the rest.
- Grind the oats and chia seeds into a flour. You can also process the walnuts or add them in chunks, whichever you prefer.
- Stir in the salt, vanilla, cinnamon and raisins.
- Store in an airtight container or serve directly by pouring in the milk and adding any desired toppings. I always add some nut butter, often also berries and some banana. The oat milk I use is naturally sweet, so I usually don’t crave any extra sweetness. Pour in the milk, bit by bit, and stir until combined. Adjust the amount of milk for a thicker or runnier texture according to to your personal preference. If you prepare this in advance you may need to add more milk when serving.
- Serve by adding your toppings.
Feel free to tag @blueberrysmiles22 if you share your creations on Instagram, so I can share in the joy 🙂