Hello and happy Sunday evening!
It’s time to share with you another guest recipe – one that I can’t believe I’ve lived this long without: Vegan French Toast! This is something I didn’t think I would be eating after going plant-based, and it completely slipped off my foodie radar. Until, that is, I discovered Bianca Zapatka’s blog full of beautiful, mouthwatering recipes – including an irresistibly simple and incredibly delicious version of French Toast, using ingredients you probably have on hand.
I’ve made it twice this past week and it’s made me so happy both times 🙂 I’ve had it topped with sliced banana, berries/ chia jam, a drizzle of peanut butter and some maple syrup (this was more for decoration purposes, as the toast is perfectly sweet enough without it). Definitely give it a go, and don’t forget to tag @fitness_bianca if you share your toast on instagram 😉
- 2 slices toast (I used wholewheat)
- 1/2 ripe banana (you can slice the other half for decoration)
- 75 ml plant-based milk (I used unsweetened rice milk)
- coconut oil for frying
- Optional: vanilla, cinnamon, desiccated coconut
- Ideas for toppings: berries, sirup, granola
Note: I also added 1 tsp of ground flaxseed (for extra nutrition) and 1 tsp lucuma (for extra sweetness), both are completely optional however.
- Mash banana in a deep plate. Add milk, (vanilla and cinnamon) and stir. (This is also where I added the ground flaxseeds and lucuma).
- Spread coconut flakes on a baking paper. (The recipe also works without coconut). I omitted them, but if you’re a coconut lover, go for it! 😉
- Heat up coconut oil in a pan.
- Dip the toasts into the “banana milk” mixture and coat with coconut flakes.
- Fry for about 3-4 minutes from each side on medium heat until lightly brown.
- Place your french toasts on a plate and drizzle with agave syrup. Serve with berries, granola, remaining coconut flakes or other toppings as desired and enjoy!
Happy French Toasting!