Rarely does it happen that a bake turns out exactly as I visualized in my head, but this is one of those wonderful times. While trying to fall asleep the other night I was dreaming up recipes to use up some leftover pumpkin (who doesn’t, right?), and I’m absolutely delighted with how these little loaves turned out this morning. Soft, moist, sweet and so satisfying – with richness from the peanut butter and bittersweet bursts of dark chocolate.
I’ve already eaten three today and am seriously wishing I made more. They also received the thumbs up from my boyfriend, who had one as a post-workout snack. Whether you’re looking for an indulgent weekend breakfast, afternoon treat or something for on-the-go, these will definitely hit the spot 😉
Let’s get baking!
Pumpkin PB Chocolate Chip Mini Loaves
Makes: 5 (generous) mini loaves
- 250 g puréed pumpkin*
- 100 g soft dates – I use these Sukari ones; the 3kg box lasts me for ages and is really good value for money
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (or ground flaxseeds)
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lucuma powder (optional)
- ground vanilla bean / seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- good pinch of cinnamon
- 130 g (1 cup) flour – I used half buckwheat, half wholemeal spelt
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) unsweetened rice mylk
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) unsalted, all-natural peanut butter
- dark chocolate, chopped (ca. 60-80 g, I used 85%)
* Alternatively, I could imagine puréed butternut squash, sweet potato or even mashed banana would work too.
- Mix together the pumpkin purée and chia seeds.
- Blend together the dates with the maple syrup and pinch of salt, adding this sweet mixture to the pumpkin.
- Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, (lucuma powder).
- Add the baking powder to the flour and stir into the pumpkin mix.
- Finally, stir in the rice mylk and peanut butter, before adding the chocolate chunks
- Divide the mixture into your mini loaf tins (if you don’t have any you could make muffins instead).
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180° C for ca. 20 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean). Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes.
Feel free to tag @blueberrysmiles22 if you share your creations on Instagram, so I can share in the joy 🙂