I’m back to share a new recipe with you that I’ve come up with as part of a collaboration with the health food company Iswari (if you don’t live in Switzerland, check out their international page instead). I only recently found out about them, but immediately fell in love with their product range, and was only too happy to try some of their goodies.
This weekend I got myself acquainted with their “Buddha’s Awakening Morning Protein“, made of 100% organic milled buckwheat, rice protein, banana powder, tiger nut flour, milled flaxseed, carob and activated buckwheat, and boy was I in for an awakening! As much as I liked the sound of the ingredients, I wasn’t prepared for how much I would love the taste of this nutritious combination.
It’s hard to describe, but the banana, tiger nut and carob give this mix such a wonderful, naturally sweet and also warm and slightly exotic yet incredibly comforting flavor. I decided to make the ultimate comforting treat out of this, by turning it into a mug cake. This is a super easy recipe for a protein-rich breakfast, post-workout snack or afternoon treat. I hope you enjoy!
Buddha Mug Cake
Makes: 1 serving
- 1 medium-sized ripe banana
- 5 tbsp “Buddha’s Awakening Morning Protein“
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3.5 tbsp unsweetened rice milk (or almond/oat etc.)
- 1 tbsp smooth, slightly runny peanut butter
- Mash the banana and combine with all the other ingredients.
- Pour the batter into a cup. The trick here is not to overfill, as this baby will rise! For me this makes enough for about 1 small coffee cup and 1 small espresso cup, or simply one larger cup. The important thing is that the cake has space to rise above the rim (without overflowing and resulting in a funny mushroom shape).
- Cook in the microwave at high heat for ca. 1.5 to 2 minutes (times may vary depending on your microwave and your preferences – I like to have mine a little bit under-baked, so that it’s nice and gooey inside 😉 ).
- Optional: add yummy toppings – I’ve been having mine with dark chocolate (I loved this lucuma vanilla chocolate, also by Iswari) and more peanut butter, but berries or jam will work well too.
Feel free to tag @blueberrysmiles22 if you share your creations on Instagram, so I can share in the joy 🙂